Sunday, August 1, 2010

Ethan’s arachnoid cyst

July 28th was Ethan’s 9 month checkup. The day started out pretty great. I woke up early took a shower and got ready and decided to weed one of our flower beds before my sister came to drop of my niece (and before it was 90 degrees out! ) Then I did the dishes and vacuumed the house while the kids played. Then at 11:00 we left for Ethan’s appointment. He was happy and flirting with all the receptionists and moving around everywhere. we were happy to find out that he didn't need any shots and that he was 3 months above average mentally & physically. Then his pediatrician told us that his head was getting larger rather fast and we should go get a CT scan just to be sure, could be nothing, but they deemed it necessary.

We then dropped Lindsay off at my mom’s work and headed out to Primary Children’s hospital in Riverton, they got us right in, Ethan was a little bit upset being strapped down, but once we talked to him and showed him all the toys he was giggling in no time! The scan got finished and we waited a few minutes for the doctor to look them over. Then they asked me to come in the other room, that my doctor was on the phone and wanted to talk to me, at that point I knew something was wrong. She told me about his cyst and wanted to have a neurosurgeon review the scans to see if it was a concern.

The doctor that reviewed the scans showed us what was there. The cyst was covering the right side/middle of his brain and adding pressure to the frontal lobe. He said it may need to be taken out and that would be explained to us if the neurosurgeon wanted to see him. Sure enough about a half hour later Ethan’s doctor called and said that the NS’s office would be calling us to make an appointment and that we would have to see him within the next 2 weeks or sooner. They double booked us into the schedule because the NS was booked until the end of Sept. We meet with Dr. Brockmeyer on August 12th.

There is what happened so far. Elijah is so very sensitive and was crying ever since we had left the pediatricians office and on thru the whole night. Me I couldn’t cry, it didn’t seem real to me, and I felt like I had to be the strong one. (I really hate being the strong one)

I called my mom on the way back to her office and told her what was going on, she offered to set up a priesthood blessing by my grandfather and father in law, at that moment I lost it! I couldn’t speak. I cried the rest of the way back.

My parents, grandparents & Eli’s parents all came over. They gave each of us a blessing. Then we had dinner and talked and played with Ethan. He still was so happy like nothing was wrong. It’s so hard to think that he has no clue what’s about to come to him. :(

we went to bed that night and I completely broke down (finally) I cried in Elijah’s arms and finally got out all my feelings and worries. We cried together for a few hours and finally passed out from exhaustion. I woke up in the morning an hour early and cried for about an hour more.

I’m so worried about the surgery, that he could come out of it a completely different baby, lose the personality that we all love!

 

Well I am very tired, it’s been an exhausting weekend, so I am going to head to bed. Here is the definition of an Arachnoid Cyst:

 

Arachnoid cysts are cerebrospinal fluid covered by arachnoidal cells and collagen that may develop between the surface of the brain and the cranial base or on the arachnoid membrane, one of the three membranes that cover the brain and the spinal cord. Arachnoid cysts are a congenital disorder, and most cases begin during infancy; however, onset may be delayed until adolescence.

No comments:

Post a Comment